The project that ended up getting my attention was not so sexy. This weekend I set out to replace the kitchen faucet and sink strainer basket -- a very common DIY project that I had done before and was not afraid to tackle again. But I hadn't counted on what I would find when I went to attach the new strainer to the pipes beneath the sink.
As so often happens in these DIY projects, one look under the hood revealed pipes in very poor condition -- and another project altogether.
|The pipes under the sink were rotting away|
The previous renovation was done a little over a year ago but already the shoddy fixtures were showing distress. The faucet, which from a distance appeared to be brushed nickel but was actually painted plastic was beginning to peel. Ditto the sink strainer basket. And when I got a look under the sink - oh my -- that's when the harsh reality set in.
|Ross, ducking his head under the sink the minute he saw the camera|
Ross is not a DYI aficionado by any means, but he is happy to pitch when I need him. And frankly, I am not ashamed to admit that I don't have the upper body strength to achieve the torque required in most plumbing projects. I was happy to have his help. (And I think he was pretty proud of himself, too. I'll make a Renov8or of him yet!) We installed the new faucet in about an hour on Saturday.
On Sunday I woke up early and hit home depot for supplies to switch out the strainer basket and the rotten plumbing below.
Of course it turned out to be a bigger job than I had anticipated.
I put a chicken in the oven around 10 that morning and told Ross I'd be back in an hour or so and to remove the bird when the timer went off.
In reality, I got home about 5 hours later, after multiple trips to home depot and multiple cuttings and fittings of PVC tailpipe. On my final trip to HD, I brought the kit with me to get the advice of the plumber and it turned out that my kit was defective. Or, rather, the wrong type of washers had been supplied -- reducers instead of washers.
Once I figured out the problem, I was home free.
|My DIY replacement of a sink basket and tailpipe|
|Before: Imitation Nickel painted faucet|
|After: Delta Trinsic in solid chrome|