AddThis Slider

Friday, June 14, 2013

My Carroll Gardens FSBO Gets Multiple Bids!


Credit: David Castillo/Blue Barn Picture

I'm selling my home! As you know, I moved in with Ross two years ago and sublet my Brooklyn co-op apartment.

So, how has that been going, being a landlord and all?

My experience has been mostly positive. My tenants paid the rent on time and in exchange, when something was wrong I jumped to fix it. That's the contract, right? If everyone just follows this, isn't life sweet? I did have to keep their deposit, however. Unfortunately, their dog left puddles on the hardwood floors that I guess no one cleaned up. The wood was blackened in several prominent spots. You might think I could just have the floors sanded and refinished. But that wouldn't have fixed them. (Read: Repairing Pet Damage to Hardwood Floors.)

Anyway, if you recall I put my place on the market in May. Well, not even a week later I found my listing written up on Curbed: Charming Carroll Gardens 1BR Seeks $550K in FSBO Attempt. With commenters conjecturing on the market value of the place as well as my capability to sell it myself.

The comments ranged from extremely complimentary about the place to, well... kinda hater, like most comments sections.

How psyched was I to be covered on one of my fave blogs! (Brownstoner, where were you?)

Cut to the chase, I am in contract at the asking price after one just open house that received multiple bids. And, yes, the buyer waived contingencies. (Take that, haters!)

Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn, is hot right now. A combination of factors: low inventory, zero land left to develop, and foreign buyers (now that the French magnet schools opened). However, the real clincher was the 400 square foot private backyard. Most of the open house visitors were dog owners, and we are one of the few co-ops in the neighborhood that allow dogs.

Credit: David Castillo/Blue Barn Pictures

But my buyer gets this - the charm of the place and the changes I've made. The first thing he said upon entering the apartment was: "Do you think I could drop a hot tub in this deck? And I was like: "Yeah - That was my first thought when I bought it!" Not that I ever got around to it, what with all the more needed renovations in the kitchen and bath and all the built-ins.

Well, I hope he does it. That deck is just crying for a hot tub.

Anyway, I know my old bachelor-girl apartment is in good hands! So long, sweet Carroll Gardens home...