AddThis Slider

Friday, July 11, 2014

Slipcovers Make an Old Sofa New Again

new linen slipcovers for sofa

Before you consign that old sofa to a Re-Store, could that sofa be saved? I had ours slipcovered and they look as good as new. Even better, they fit right in with the midcentury style of our home.



Our sofa is about 20 years old. One of the first major purchases of my life post-college, I bought it at Bloomingdales on sale and paid for it in monthly installments. It came with a matching chair and ottoman and all three pieces were covered in "shabby chic" slipcovers made from a crinkly white seersucker fabric that was the thing at the time. 

Fast forward 20 years, the slipcovers were starting to look truly shabby and not chic...

I removed the slipcovers and shipped them off to Trish Banner at Cottage by Design

Trish custom sews slipcovers for a very reasonable price. If you check out her site, you can see the careful workmanship she applies. Normally you'd have to live in her area of California, so that she could come and visit your furniture and measure it. But because I'm ready to say goodbye to these old slipcovers, I was able to ship them off to her to pick apart and serve as the template for the new slipcovers. After a few emails with photos of what I like, she sent a handful of fabric swatches for me to choose from (her prices on fabric are excellent and include prewashing and ironing). I chose an off white Belgian linen with a bit of a salt and pepper thing going on that I think will compliment the Farrow and Ball "Blackened" paint color of our home.





The slipcovers are in, and they look fantastic!















No comments:

Post a Comment