AddThis Slider

Saturday, October 12, 2019

Rope-Wrapped Exposed Steam Pipe—Four Years Later


Like most co-op homes in New York City that were built in the early 20th century, ours is heated  by steam that runs up risers from a giant boiler in the basement and heats up radiators in each room. Love or hate it, steam heat is what it is, and so we deal. The two exposed pipes—one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen—get very hot. After scalding myself getting out of the shower our first winter here, I made wrapping the exposed heating pipes in rope my special project before the next cold wave. Many have asked how our rope-wrapped pipes are standing up to wear. Well, having just replaced the original manila rope in the bathroom with sisal rope, I thought I'd explain why.

As I mention in my step by step instructions for wrapping a heat pipe in rope, the original manila rope I'd used was, as all manila rope is, treated with oil—and the burn-off was pretty foul. It also didn't wear especially well. At the joint where steam escapes, it became singed and blackened and started to disintegrate.




By this time, I had tackled the pipe in the kitchen by wrapping it in a different type of rope, sisal, which not only had no burn-off smell but also was better looking. (It looks like the world's tallest cat scratching post, though sadly does not seem to appeal to our household's furry feline.)


I bought the rope online in rolls of 100 ft. It takes 300 ft to cover the pipe from top to bottom, like I did in the kitchen, which has 8-1/2 foot ceilings. I also picked up a ceiling medallion to give the top of the pipe a finished look.


In the bathroom, which has 9 ft. ceilings, we chose to leave some of the pipe exposed at the top, as it is the only heat source in the bathroom. 


Though this is a simple project, it isn't easy. It's painstaking to wrap the rope around the pipe, because there's so little room between it and the wall. I had to unravel the tight spools that the rope came in and loop the rope around my arm, the way you would a garden hose, then pass these thinner batches of rope between the pipe and the wall, around and around and around. Because the rope has a tendency to get knotted if someone isn't minding it while the other person's wrapping, this is a two-man job. But one that's definitely worth it. 

Update: The sisal wore in the same place, which is where the pipe joint is. I believe it's damp caused by release steam. I'm going to cut it away when the heat goes off this spring.

15 comments:

  1. Hi, we used Manila role per your first blog, and now do not wish to unravel the Manila rope to replace with sisal rope. Does the smell of Manila rope go away and will it catch on fire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, The smell DOES go away over time. I would not bother exchanging it with the sisal. I found I had the same problem with it. Turns out that it's not burned, it's wet (and rotting) from where the joint in the pipes is loose and lets out steam. When the weather breaks, I'm going to cut the rope away in that area. When I do, I'll take photos and update this post.

      Delete
  2. hi, thanks for this post. i used foil tape on my kitchen pipe to remedy the flaking layers of paint. it definitely still gets hot, but it's not in a spot i touch it accidentally. the annoying part is that the head makes the tape crackle, i always think it's a mouse or something when i hear it.

    anyway, i came to this post while google searching, because the pipe in one of the bedroom blanks and bangs, there isn't a radiator in that room, so i'm wondering if rope would insulate the noise a bit...

    ps i also use caulk around the pipe where it meets the ceiling and floor because it as too close to the wall to use one of the metal rings, and caulk would end up drying and cracking. the building is a 36+ unit pre war building in north brooklyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't muffle noise from a clanging pipe. The only thing that will remedy that is to have building maintenance bleed all the radiators to remove trapped water.

      Delete
  3. I don't think it would muffle the sound. Having lived in an apartment with clanking pipes, I could hear my neighbors' banging, too. Even though your pipe isn't in a room with a radiator, the clanking would go away if you could get the building to drain ALL of the radiators in the building. If it's a co-op or condo, they'll probably do it if you ask. If it's a rental, and I've lived in many, it's usually hard for the super to get every apartment to cooperate. Good luck! And thanks for the tape idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. maybe ‘unmanila’ rope would work better? pretty sure it’s a poly material, wouldn’t discolor or degrade. I’m about to try it on an outdoor pipe handrail (painted black, it gets too hot to handle).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of that. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this post! I'm looking at doing a similar thing with some steam pipes in my apartment, with two desired purposes: 1) So I don't get burned when accidentally touching the pipe, and 2) To reduce the amount of heat being dissipated into the room. I know that sisal rope will accomplish #1, but can you tell me if it also keep the room from getting too hot? My bedroom must be 80 degrees, even with the window open...

    If it does help in keeping the room from overheating, I may just wrap the lower 6-7 feet so that I'm still getting some good heat from the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The room still gets hot. Not as hot as it used to get, though.

      Delete
  6. Is there a white rope option that I could use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that I know of, but the next commenter is using Nylon Poly Rope and that does come in different colors. I haven't tried that, though.

      Delete
  7. Great thread thanks for posting!

    I removed the Manila rope my predecessor installed because it was fraying and little covers were all over the bathroom.

    I replaced it with a 1/4 inch (7mm) Nylon Poly Rope and if I did it again I might recommend a thicker rope 1/2 inch.

    It’s just heating up now and the rope is giving off a poor smell but it’s not really bad I’m hoping it goes away… but I’m still searching for the right material that has no odour and is fire/heat retardant.

    For the main post, if the pipe joint is leaking, I’d see if a plumber can evaluate it for a fix. At worst, you could have a patch welded around the leaky joint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Question - in your kitchen pipe what is that thing sticking out of the top of the pipe? Is it a steam valve or something else?

    ReplyDelete