AddThis Slider

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Bathroom Lighting & Storage



We are down to the wire! Literally.

It is time for me to firm up lighting specs and measure where the recesses for the medicine cabinet, tall side cabinet, and shower alcove will go.

It's always jarring in that stage of a renovation when you move from dream phase to purchase phase. It means the dreaming (and paging through Houzz and Pinterest) that I have been doing since I made the offer on this apartment in July is about to come to an end. But also that the end product is near.

So, these are my choices.



Ceiling Lighting: Deco Schoolhouse Flushmount Fixture
  • Max Wattage: 150
  • UL Listed: Yes
  • Fixture Dims: L 5" x W 5.5"
  • Canopy Width: 5.5"
  • Shade Dimensions: w 11", h 8"
  • Total: L 13" x W 11"



Recessed Medicine Cabinet Over the Sink
  • Overall: 21¼"W x 4"D x 34"H
  • Recessed Box: 19"W x 3¾"D x 31¾"H

Sconces to either side: 5"W x 4½"D x 15"H:Console sink: 30" w x 22 deep


And to the left of the sink, recessed in the wall a tall medicine cabinet:
  • Overall: 21¼"W x 4¼"D x 72½"H; 50 lbs.
  • Recessed Box: 19¼"W x 4"D x 70¼"H


Floor tile: Half Hex, Heath Ceramics Dwell Collection.

Those are my choices, and I'm sticking to them!

2 comments:

  1. ...and we have been eyeing that exact schoolhouse electric lighting!
    i noticed you said you work with a contractor (along with seemingly doing a lot of DIY and having special floor and bathroom people). Would you recommend having a contractor oversee all work? We probably aren't reno-ing right away but will eventually want to do one of the bathrooms and the kitchen. We're starting with refurbishing the floors and painting. Our coop looks very similar to yours! Can't wait to read more about your renos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love these schoolhouse fixtures. They are classics yet also have clean modern lines.

    Regarding the contractor. If my bathroom had been the original subway tile, I probably would have DIYed it. I would have regrouped the tile and depending on the state of the original tub and sink may have had the porcelain refinished. But because the previous owners did such a shoddy remodel (bathtub in backwards, shower trim not centered, wall tile a bland beige, I had to do a full scale renovation taking it down to the studs. For these types of jobs I always hire a contractor.

    ReplyDelete