AddThis Slider

Sunday, October 21, 2018

Renovation Diary: Preparation


It looks like moving day at our place, and in many ways it feels like it too. Today I spent most of the day hunting down boxes and packing up remaining dishes, cooking utensils, pots and pans, small appliances, and foods that we won't see again for 4-6 weeks. I emptied out every cabinet and pantry into boxes and bags and stowed it all in the spare bedroom, where last night Ross had helped me push all the dining and living room furniture.



It looks like furniture Tetris in there.

When I was through with that, I went through the kitchen and stuck blue tape on things we’re keeping. In the dining room I indicated where to move the things I want to keep from the old kitchen to create the all-important temporary kitchen that will keep us from losing our minds in the next six weeks.



The most important things:

  • Refrigerator
  • Base cabinets
  • Counter top
  • Microwave
  • Hot plate
  • Toaster oven
  • Electric kettle
  • Foreman grill
  • Instant Pot
  • Air fryer
  • Stacking shelves

Plus, two of each: plates, bowls, cups, glasses, forks, knives, spoons; serving spoons and bowls; and most commonly used spices and condiments, paper products and storage containers used to pack lunches.

I also put aside things we generally keep in the junk drawer that we'll need like: scissors, box cutter, pens, pencils, highlighters, Sharpees, paper clips, envelopes, stamps, note paper, stickies.


Some of the new appliances, mostly the ones I bought secondhand, are already here. Other than the fridge, two cabinets and counter that will be the mainstay of the temporary kitchen, I'm not keeping very much from the old kitchen. The faucet and strainer I bought four years ago when we moved in are good quality. I don’t know if we’ll use them, but I thought we may as well keep them.

I printed out the Kitchen Plan, including IKEA kitchen design elevations. and taped them to the wall. Printed all appliance spec sheets and installation guides for the secondhand appliances. It’s always good to have spec sheets handy.

Then I sat down and wrote a note to my neighbors and put it into an envelope along with a Starbucks gift card. Hopefully they'll not be too inconvenienced by the noise and dust.


Dear Neighbors, 
We’re renovating the kitchen in apartment #. Work will begin Monday, October 22, and will take an estimated 4 weeks. The scope of work includes replacing cabinets, countertops, and appliances; restoring floors; and removing a portion of the wall separating the kitchen from the living room.  
Our contractor is licensed and insured for co-ops and has experience in our neighborhood (where he also lives). He will take every consideration, including:
  • Work hours strictly Monday through Friday, 9:00am - 5:00pm 
  • No construction debris in the public areas of our building
  • Alerting the super when elevator padding will be needed
The worst of the noise and dust will occur during demolition in the first three days. We apologize in advance for the inconvenience. Enclosed is a gift card; if you’re home during the day and find yourself in need of a break, the coffee’s on us! 
I’m also enclosing my number. Please call if you see or hear anything that concerns you. 
Thank you in advance,
Sally

I'm feeling as ready as I’ll ever be. Let's get this party started!


Follow the Renovation Diary:

No comments:

Post a Comment