AddThis Slider

Saturday, November 10, 2018

Renovation Diary: IKEA's Delivery Service XPO Logistics Sucks


IKEA outsources their delivery needs to a company called XPO Logistics, and that's a terrible business mistake for a company that prides itself on high quality products and customer experience. We are now on our fourth delivery attempt, scheduled for Monday.

Delivery attempt one: The guys waited around all day and at the end of the day there was no delivery. I called XPO and was put on hold indefinitely. I called IKEA and was put on hold 20 minutes before speaking with a human who couldn't tell me what the problem was, only that she could "see" my order in the system at XPO's warehouse and did I want to reschedule. I rescheduled.

Delivery attempt two: A repeat of delivery attempt one. This time when I called IKEA, I got a more knowlegable person on the phone who said the problem is that the order that's on the truck is not complete, it's missing items, and XPO's policy is to not deliver if the order is incomplete. If the customer, me, gives permission, they can override this policy and delivery what they've got. (It would have been nice to have learned this last time.) It turns out 50 pieces are missing. Are they cabinets? Hardware? Panels? She couldn't tell me. Just that when I inventoried and reported IKEA would do their best to get them to me ASAP.

Delivery attempt three: The night before I get an automated voicemail that our window is 1-5. At 1:45 pm I get an automated email that a delivery attempt was made. What? I text Aleks. The guys are there and no one attempted to deliver. I call IKEA who tells me XPO will attempt to call the homeowner and if he/she isn't home, they won't deliver. Did I want to reschedule. I text Aleks who says Monday and this time we leave his contact info in the system. He tells me this happens all the time with IKEA orders.

Every time I call IKEA, I am put on hold with the automated message "We are experience high call volumes in your area, please hold and a representative will be with you shortly." I'm not surprised they're receiving high call volumes. If every person has four missed deliveries, that's a lot of irate people on the phone trying to get through. How about this? Get a new delivery service.

IKEA must be aware of the ineptitude of XPO Logistics. There is afterall an entire Facebook group devoted to this, called XPO Logistics Sucks.


IKEA should take a look at Wayfair. I've ordered a sink, two faucets, and some other finishes from Wayfair and they have an awesome web-based tracking system that lets you see how many stops are head of you. You can track the progress of the truck all day until it arrives. Amazing.

Follow the Renovation Diary:

No comments:

Post a Comment