AddThis Slider

Saturday, December 8, 2018

Renovation Diary: Why I Went With Drawers in All My Base Cabinets



Designing this kitchen for maximum functionality and efficient use of space, I specced drawers in ALL the base cabinets. The utility, functionality, and efficient use of space simply can't be beat. And no more kneeling on the floor to search for small appliances. More than this, I just love the symmetry in my design. I'll store heavy items like small appliances in the bottom drawers and flatware, utensils, and spices in the top "hidden" drawers.

While I prefer the look on the outside of two big deep drawers, I definitely knew I'd want my top drawers for storing flatware and utensils, so I added IKEA's shallow "hidden" top drawer. Genius!



Even the sink base will look like it has two drawers. It's really a pull out with two drawer-fronts connected into one panel. There will be plenty of space behind for the plumbing, and I'll still have room for a tall kitchen garbage can. Our contractor designed the rough-ins to give us maximum space under the sink. I'm going to put two recycling cans in the cabinet to the left of the sink, along with a bin to hold paper bags and an organizer for plastic bags.


All the extra holes were made when I discovered the measure of the sink run was off, and they had to fix it. Oh well. We'll to put a fake access panel grill there and clean up all the holes we had to cut. No one will ever be the wiser.


The pantries have drawers too. We'll be storing all the dry food stuffs in the pantry to the left of the fridge. The pantry to the right of the fridge will have a pull-out for the vacuum cleaner and shelves above for all the cleaning supplies.


We have about 7 inches at the end of the run and it really bothers our carpenter Juan, because filler looks unfinished to him. He suggested that if I order a custom door to fit, he'll frame this out and turn it into a broom closet. So, that will become the mop closet.


Follow the Renovation Diary:

No comments:

Post a Comment