AddThis Slider

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Renovation Diary: The Wall Can't Come Down


I met with the contractor this morning to see what our options are with the various pipes in the wall. It was not encouraging. First, the positives: I can swap positions of sink and dishwasher, so that we’re loading on the right (Ross and I are both right-handed), but that’s pretty much the extent of the good news today.
 
Now for the bad news: The island can’t be open on two sides. It gets worse: where I’d hoped to get at least a door on the closed end, I won't — because there’s a gas line right in the middle of where the door would go. You can’t move a gas line in NYC these days without precipitating a stress test that every old building in the city is bound to fail, and since I have no wish to be the most reviled person in my building for getting gas service turned off for months in the middle of Winter, I'm pretty much stuck with what we’ve got on that score. The waste pipe and the risers also cannot be moved or capped, so I'm looking at a stretch of about 52” of wall that can’t come down.

Follow the Renovation Diary:

No comments:

Post a Comment