AddThis Slider

Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Renovation Diary: Restoring the Floors


Aleks texted from a flooring store where he’s picking up red oak slats for the section of floor that used to be the galley kitchen but is now down to it’s subfloors. I had hoped originally to find that underneath the porcelain tile we’d find the same hardwood floors that are in the rest of the rooms, but nope, just subfloor. It’s too bad to lose the old slats from the dining area, but they were all one length, not feathered. To make the two sides, old galley kitchen and old dining area, match, Aleks’s floor guy will have to re-do both rooms in the same material, feather the slats of various sizes, and stain them the same natural stain as the rest of the house.



I'm really sad that we can't retain some of this flooring, but I understand how hard it would be to remove the nails from these slender, brittle floor boards. Well, I won't dwell on it; the floor is going to look fabulous when it’s finished and will be worth the added expense.


When I got home from work tonight, I took a peek at the other side of the zip wall and I was so excited to see that all the rough-ins are done and most of the walls and ceiling are back up, ready for plaster, skim coat, and paint.


In other news, IKEA’s delivery service XPO Logistics missed a second delivery date today. I called to find out what the heck is going on. They said the order is not complete and that I need to call IKEA. I was on hold a good 20 minutes until finally getting to speak with someone who knew something. She saw that I had a case number from our previous missed delivery date and apologized for the two missed deliveries. The problem with the order is, about 50 products are missing. XPO won’t deliver a partial order unless IKEA okays it. IKEA won’t okay it unless the customer okays it. I okayed it.

But I asked, why didn’t the IKEA rep I spoke with last week tell me this and deliver it all today? The lady didn’t know, but she apologized profusely and offered me a $100 gift card for my trouble. I readily accepted, but seriously, it's not enough to make up for the wasted time.

Follow the Renovation Diary:

No comments:

Post a Comment