AddThis Slider

Sunday, November 4, 2018

Renovation Diary: Mixing Metal Finishes in My Kitchen



The pure white field and deep navy vein of the paonazzo marble we saw yesterday is sparking all kinds of design and decor choices in my mind. I drafted a new mood board. So much has changed since I drafted my original mood board that I thought it would be painful to compare them, but it isn't, because I love the new design even more.

If you recall, this is what had been my design dream just about two years ago, when I first started planning this kitchen.



I haven't shifted far from the original esthetic, however several things have changed. The first thing to go was the mid-century round pendants. While I still love that look in other kitchens, they just seemed too big for this kitchen, which will be, partially now, open to the living room. I craved something prettier to gaze at when I'm lounging on my sofa reading, and I found it in slim brass cylinder pendants.

The second thing to go was sadly, the Thermador wall oven stack. If you followed the crazy electrical panel nightmare, you'll know the why of that.

Finally, swapping in paonazzo marble instead of statuary brings a deep navy vein that's sparking design ideas, and making me excited again about my lighting choice. Sophisticated navy will bring out the beauty in the brass pendants.



I'll tie in the finish choice with a touch of brass in the faucets.


And I'm considering a shallow brass picture shelf above the sink run. On order; I just need to see if the finish matches well enough.


I've seen a shallow shelf above a backsplash look great in the HenryBuilt kitchens that I so admire, placed right above where the slab backsplash ends.


I will be able to store small pottery there, or even lean a painting.

The paonazzo marble is changing the mood of my original design in unexpected ways, and I like it!

Follow the Renovation Diary:

2 comments:

  1. I looove how your kitchen turned out, thank you for detailing the thought process and the trials you faced while renovating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! A year after the renovation, it is such a pleasure to cook in.

      Delete